A Seafaring Village
Known as a seafaring fishing village, Swampscott was officially settled and established in 1629. Home to a large commercial fishing fleet, fishermen dominated the economy. Ebenezer Phillips, a fisherman of the late 1700’s, learned the dry fish process and set up a facility that would eventually make him one of the first millionaires in the country. Fast forward to the 1800’s and Swampscott reached worldwide status as Ebenezer Thorndike invented the lobster pot which revolutionized lobster harvesting. 30 years later Fisherman Theophilius Bracket invented the Swampscott Dory, a flat bottom boat made to drag lobster pots, which is still used worldwide today.
the swampscott dory
In 1840, fisherman, Theophilius Bracket invented the Swampscott Dory in order to row and pull lobster traps. The Swampscott Dories were superior to any dory previously made. Originally used for inshore fishing and lobstering along the coast, they soon became popular as recreational boats for their speed and manageability. The Swampscott Dory has only four planks to a side making for light labor and rapid construction.
land of luxury
During the 1800’s, large resorts built along Swampscott Shore attracted the wealthy from across the country. Many of these people stayed and built magnificent homes which played a role in the diverse history of the town. As time progressed Swampscott became very popular as a summer destination for people across the world. Today this coastal community continues to attract people to vacation, live and work.
greenwood ave school
Built in 1894 Swampscott High School resided atop the highest elevation in town at 71 Greenwood Ave. Later becoming Swampscott Middle School the building underwent a few additions, in 1915 and 1936. Perched on a hill with 2.22 acres the 106,000 square foot school had grand views of Swampscott Harbor, Nahant, and the Boston Skyline. The school closed its doors in 2007.